Sunday, March 15, 2009

I can see for miles and miles

Another fun aspect of Geocaching is leaving "Trackable" items in a geocache. They have unique ID numbers on them, so you can watch them on the Internet as they move around, and never have to leave home! (Kind of the opposite of geocaching, but still....)

I dropped a very pretty coin in a cache in the Hastings College parking lot, way back in 2006. It criss-crossed the state, then the country a few times, before taking a big jump from Southern California all the way to Germany!

Wish now I had taken a good picture of it!

So, now I keep getting e-mails like this:
In den Händen von Wolf 6572 gesehen.
Mit den Meilen auf dem Tacho, sieht das Ding noch richtig gut aus.
Gute Reise !

The coin has now traveled 12,220.5 miles!!

Geocaching's website even makes a nice map of the coin's travels. I clicked on stop #8, and see that is in Virginia, about 3 miles from where I lived when I was in the Navy! Cool!!

No comments: