Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Caching and Cranes

Got up at SIX A.M. Tuesday, so I could watch the sun come up at Fort Kearny. (Any teachers reading this?) I was hoping to see lots of cranes during their annual migration. Unfortunately, it appears the birds didn't want to spend the night here, I saw very few. Very few people, too, but was pretty cold at this hour.

But, thanks to Geocaching, I was driving by a cornfield North of Kearney, and guess what I saw!



Spent the whole day geocaching, walked about 15 miles, and planned my day so that I would end up south of Gibbon to watch the cranes again at sundown. This time was different, I saw hundreds of the birds, and had a crowd with me to watch. They have built some viewing platforms here, and the parking lot was packed! There was even a tour bus!



Look at this guy's camera! Anyone want to get me one of these for my birthday?


Here's the best my camera could come up with:


But that wasn't the end of the day! There's a geocache in the Bassway Strip WMA that has to be done at night! You have to shine your flashlight around and look for reflectors stuck to trees. I found TWELVE of the darn things, took me about two hours, and STILL didn't find the cache! Arrrgghh..... Still, I had fun, and it was quite a learning experience for me.

"Had" to do my geocaching logs when I got home, got to bed by 2 a.m.!

No comments: